Cabin Fever?

Anything goes! We want to hear from you.
randee
Site Admin
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:24 pm
Location: Spearfish SD
Contact:

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Lizzybear wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:22 pm
The snowbirds up here are not very happy that they can`t travel to their winter homes in Florida or Arizona.Of course some of them are finding ways to cross the border.
What are the laws? You can leave, but must quarantine if you come back? or?
Sturgis Rally 80th, August 7 - 16, 2020
User avatar
Lizzybear
Posts: 10458
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:24 am
Location: Saskatchewan

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:29 pm

randee wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm
Lizzybear wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:22 pm
The snowbirds up here are not very happy that they can`t travel to their winter homes in Florida or Arizona.Of course some of them are finding ways to cross the border.
What are the laws? You can leave, but must quarantine if you come back? or?
First of all,there isn`t supposed to be any international flights,but that didn`t work :lol: I would assume if they get to their winter homes they would have to quarantine for 14 days but I don`t know if it is the same for the US as it is here for the Canadians.. Most of the snowbirds from Canada are wealthy people and the laws seem to be different for them :roll: Once they come back they are supposed to quarantine for 14 days. But most snowbirds don`t come back until March or April and who knows what mess the world will be in by then.

Having said that. I am a poor Canuck and certainly don`t have to worry about a winter home in the US :lol: :lol:
Live Well,Love Much,Laugh Often
Sancho
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:17 am

Lizzybear wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:29 pm
randee wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm
Lizzybear wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:22 pm
The snowbirds up here are not very happy that they can`t travel to their winter homes in Florida or Arizona.Of course some of them are finding ways to cross the border.
What are the laws? You can leave, but must quarantine if you come back? or?
First of all,there isn`t supposed to be any international flights,but that didn`t work :lol: I would assume if they get to their winter homes they would have to quarantine for 14 days but I don`t know if it is the same for the US as it is here for the Canadians.. Most of the snowbirds from Canada are wealthy people and the laws seem to be different for them :roll: Once they come back they are supposed to quarantine for 14 days. But most snowbirds don`t come back until March or April and who knows what mess the world will be in by then.

Having said that. I am a poor Canuck and certainly don`t have to worry about a winter home in the US :lol: :lol:
Lizzy most of the Canadians that I have met in Arizona are no different than you so you are welcome to come down. They are school teachers, farmers, truck drivers and every walk of life so I would not say you have to be wealthy to be a snowbird you just have to be tired of the cold and like sunshine. :dance1: :dance2: :dance3:
User avatar
Wanderlost
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Texas Hill Country

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Lizzy, just about all of the Winter Texans (we don't call them snowbirds) from Canada I've met around here are middle class, just like us. They live in RVs in the parks all around us, volunteer at our library and thrift store, and are just plain ol' folks. Yes, some of them do have the larger RVs, which cost as much as a house, but the vast majority are in pretty typical travel trailers that are quite affordable.

That said, "In order to continue to prevent the spread of COVID, the US, Mexico, & Canada will extend the restrictions on non-essential travel through Dec 21," so I guess we won't be seeing too many anytime soon.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
Lizzybear
Posts: 10458
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:24 am
Location: Saskatchewan

Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:26 pm

With the border being closed until Dec 21st, it is going to make it tough for people to go South..

Our cases up here in Canada are rising fast.It will be a very quiet Christmas for our Family. They want to stop travel between the Provinces to try and curb things. Lockdowns are starting and it is only a matter of time until the whole country is in lockdown.

I can`t say it enough, I am truly thankful that we live in a small town. I suspect at some point it might show up here but so far we have been lucky.

I guess for the Thanksgiving coming up next week,your gatherings will be small. Whatever you do for it,I hope it is the best it can be given the circumstances.

Stay safe and be well.
Live Well,Love Much,Laugh Often
User avatar
Wanderlost
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Texas Hill Country

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 am

We'll have the same folks here that are here every week: old farts with nothing better to do than stay at home. But it's also going to be in the 70s, so we're having Thanksgiving outside. Never been able to have the meal outside before, so this will be quite the treat for us all.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
Lizzybear
Posts: 10458
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:24 am
Location: Saskatchewan

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:45 pm

That is awesome WL that you can celebrate Thanksgiving outside.I hope you have a great time. I am sure you will. :D
Live Well,Love Much,Laugh Often
User avatar
Wanderlost
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Texas Hill Country

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:12 pm

It hit 81 today, which is about 10 degrees higher than normal. Looking forward to a slightly cooler Thanksgiving, where it's partly cloudy, so we can eat on the deck and not get sunburned.

Got the Sangria fruit gelatin made, making the pumpkin mousse today. Roasting the vegetables tomorrow. WLToo will roast the turkey breast on Thursday morning. Not going with dressing this year. With just the four of us, it's too much food. (and work...)
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
Lizzybear
Posts: 10458
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:24 am
Location: Saskatchewan

Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:25 pm

Your Thanksgiving meal sounds so good WL. I hope you and WLToo have a wonderful day.
Live Well,Love Much,Laugh Often
Sancho
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:25 pm

No big fuss here for Thanksgiving, only two people so it is going to be a Turkey TV dinner and no big cleanup mess.
randee
Site Admin
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:24 pm
Location: Spearfish SD
Contact:

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Also quiet here and only 2 people this year. We're roasting a chicken with potatos. mmm
Sturgis Rally 80th, August 7 - 16, 2020
User avatar
Teqsun
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Central MN

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:56 am

Only 2 of us...little different than 2-20 lb. birds.
I still cooked a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes/gravy, corn, buns and wine. Still need to have Apple crisp/ice cream after the meal settles...
User avatar
Wanderlost
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Texas Hill Country

Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:58 pm

At the last minute, WLToo decided he did want dressing, so I whipped that up, and some gravy. We were seriously stuffed. Sent as much home with our friends as we could, and still have several days of leftovers to eat. It's all so delicious that eating them will not be a burden...
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
Lizzybear
Posts: 10458
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:24 am
Location: Saskatchewan

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Leftovers are just as tasty as the original meal :)

We will be doing a Christmas meal for just the two of us and there will be leftovers.
Live Well,Love Much,Laugh Often
randee
Site Admin
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:24 pm
Location: Spearfish SD
Contact:

Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:08 pm

We had a nice meal... I think for 2020 xmas it’ll be pizza.
NO leftovers for 2021! Lol
Sturgis Rally 80th, August 7 - 16, 2020
User avatar
Lizzybear
Posts: 10458
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:24 am
Location: Saskatchewan

Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:14 pm

randee wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:08 pm
We had a nice meal... I think for 2020 xmas it’ll be pizza.
NO leftovers for 2021! Lol
I agree,lets not drag anything from 2020 into 2021 :lol: :lol:
Live Well,Love Much,Laugh Often
User avatar
Wanderlost
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Texas Hill Country

Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:00 pm

That is a wonderful idea. No 2020 leftovers of any kind.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
Theodore Roosevelt
Post Reply