Sturgis

Official Sturgis Ride, Rally and Rock Message Board 

Say hi and tell us about yourself.
 #981751  by mdpocian
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:43 am
Damn Randee, 60 days until the rally and no new topics.

Also, any rumors of SMRI thugs attempting to strong arm vendors to buy permits this year?
 #981761  by SturgisSoundguy
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:47 pm
The Rally as it was has been dead for a few years now. Too many old timers over their riding years and a bunch of wimps whose idea of riding is a video screen and 2 thumbs "steering".

Facebook has killed the more public riding forums like this one.

The people charging as much as possible for anything during the Rally also led to a lot of people abandoning Sturgis as a Rally time riding destination.

My guess is there will be lots of time again BBQ'ing this year sitting on my patio overlooking the I-90 near exit 32 not seeing a motorcycle during the day for 1/2 an hour or more like the last couple of years.

Less than 200,000 I'm guessing over the week before, and the week of, is my estimate for this year's Rally. I have one friend & his wife coming out from the west coast "possibly" this year for the Rally.

Most of the campgrounds, Chip, Kickstands, etc have been offering 2020 reservations since the end of the Rally last year. The 80th will be smaller than the 75th by a lot. I have 2 friends who say they are riding out for the 80th.
 #981762  by mdpocian
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:50 pm
Thanks Sound Guy. How about SMRI, think they will still be there? I stopped buying Sturgis stuff when they began. Been going 28 years, this will be 29. Keep going as long as I can. WOW, 1/2 hour between bikes. And yet they demand big dollars for hotels.
 #981764  by SturgisSoundguy
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 pm
The past few years you could get a hotel room IN Sturgis any night of the Rally if you wanted to pay for it.

The campgrounds on the I-90 East just south of Stugis have been doing $10 a night camping for the last few years.

SMRI? I'm waiting for all the people they extorted $$$ for licensing from to sue and try to get their "fees" back!
 #981766  by SouthTexas
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 pm
I agree SoundGuy. There 'may' be a 100th but if there is I bet it will be tiny. I see guys dropping out all of the time and no replacements are in sight. I tell them to listen to Clint and Don't Let The Old Man In but although they like the saying they sell their scoot. Sad. I just bought a new one and don't plan on stopping any time soon but only time will tell. Heading out for the long ride to Laconia on Thursday morning. :) Good to see you back on the forum.
 #981767  by Sancho
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:39 pm
The times are a changing. People just don't have the interest or the time to attend anymore. Out of four brothers I am the only one who rides. My son has no interest in riding nor do any of my brothers sons.
I never attended a rally until I retired. Work didn't allow that option during the summer which was our peak season.
And there is the problem of just getting older. 600 mile back to back days and sleeping on the ground take their toll.
A rally usually costs me about $1,000 each year for all costs. I motel to and from the rally and tent camp while in Sturgis. 2020 will be my last rally but I plan on riding for about five more years.
 #981776  by randee
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pm
I'm expecting the crowds to be similar to last year and slightly up for the 80th. It is dying from what it used to be, but it's still the biggest tourism even in the midwest. Hope it never folds completely...
 #981871  by SouthTexas
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:24 pm
Maybe we’re jumping the gun on forecasting Sturgis’s steady decline. We have been at the Laconia Rally in beautiful New Hampshire since Sunday and there are bikes everywhere! Weir’s Beach, the center of the Rally, has been packed with bikes all week and there are a lot of bikes everywhere we go. We’ve also noticed that there are a lot of riders in their 30’s and 40’s which is a good sign. I’m sure there are riders in their 20’s as well but determining age can be tricky. Long live motorcycling and long live Sturgis! :)
 #981886  by Lizzybear
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 am
I don`t think it will be over crowed for the 80th..We have noticed a decline over the years as well..Young people don`t have the same interests as us older "youngsters" :lol:

2020 will be our last year,we are getting to old and I am not crazy about tenting anymore..Same for using the porta potties and the shower houses,depending of course on where you stay..We used to stay at Day`s End until they got greedy which is to bad because the facilities there were very good and well maintained..

The one great thing about Sturgis is all the friends we have made over the years and so many great memories..And those will last a life time :D
 #981890  by ShoweminMD
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 am
I just returned to Maryland from Laconia yesterday. 545 miles in a day sure isn't as easy as it used to be! The last time I was there was 2003. I have to admit this may have been my last bike rally. I agree with South Texas that Weirs Beach was packed on Sunday, but in my opinion it was a lot of locals and day riders. We went again on Tuesday afternoon and although not empty it was by no means "packed". There were hundreds of parking places up and own the street. The entire length of the street was nothing but T-shirt vendors all selling the exact same thing for the exact same price - all of it made in China, Mexico, Sri Lanka etc. etc. We stopped at the Broken Spoke for a couple of cold ones and a bite to eat, $6.00 for a slice of lousy pizza, $15.00 for dried out chicken on a stick. Despite the fact that a very good live band was playing I'll bet there was not 100 people in the place. We road the Kancamagus Hwy which is beautiful and stopped at the dealership just outside of Conway, official "rally" T-shirts were $39.00 and again made in Mexico. $39.00 for a T-shirt - they have to be fuc*ing nuts. The Hampton Inn we stayed at jacked their rate to $250.00 a night for the rally, at least double the rate any other time of the year. All you had to do was look around and the vast majority of bikers that were there all looked like me - over 60 and old. Just look at this forum and how it has gone from hundreds if not thousands of participants when I first joined to the handful of us that are still here. Me and my buddies all still love to ride and are all (thank God) healthy and able. I believe that in the future we will plan our own rides at times other than "rally" dates, not pay the ridiculously jacked up prices, but still get to go on spectacular rides which to me is what it's all about.

PS - For those of you that know me from this forum, I've been saying for years that the cell phone camera has been a major contributing factor in how motorcycle rallies have changed - no more "flashing" or any other craziness. No one wants to wind up on the internet! Thanks for letting me vent!!
 #981897  by ChuckieBrown
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 pm
Well....I have been on here off and on since 2001 I think.....coupla different names....originally Flstflee...but seems over time I forget my password.

Back then this forum was rocking....and we had some good gettogether's...I even grilled steaks one year at Randee's house.....good times no doubt.

Life get's in the way sometimes...kids get into stuff...wives become ex's....and sometimes so called friends show their true colors.

We still go...kinda every other year....and bring my big ass camper...and have a blast with a few we met in 2001....gonna be at Eagles Landing again this year.

If any of the old TBA are out and about...Me...Lbc...Voodoo and Voodoo Chile will be there...mebbe Beetlebruce....look for the White 1TON Dodge with the biggest topper you have ever seen on it...swing by....yea might laugh a lil.

All in all...seems like the last three rallies we have been to seem like the wind been knocked out of it......but its okay ...just a chance to visit.
 #981910  by EM2
 Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:00 pm
ChuckieBrown wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 pm Well....I have been on here off and on since 2001 I think.....coupla different names....originally Flstflee...but seems over time I forget my password.

Back then this forum was rocking....and we had some good gettogether's...I even grilled steaks one year at Randee's house.....good times no doubt.

Life get's in the way sometimes...kids get into stuff...wives become ex's....and sometimes so called friends show their true colors.

We still go...kinda every other year....and bring my big ass camper...and have a blast with a few we met in 2001....gonna be at Eagles Landing again this year.

If any of the old TBA are out and about...Me...Lbc...Voodoo and Voodoo Chile will be there...mebbe Beetlebruce....look for the White 1TON Dodge with the biggest topper you have ever seen on it...swing by....yea might laugh a lil.

All in all...seems like the last three rallies we have been to seem like the wind been knocked out of it......but its okay ...just a chance to visit.

CB, it sure has been a long haul over the years for this forum. I joined in '03 to get info for my first trip to Sturgis. Lots of help for a Sturgis Virgin came from this site. Then meeting up with at the TBA meet and greet, putting faces to board names, making new friends and experiencing things you never would have thought.

I was 44 at the time, now I'm 60. Like many, been through a lot over those 16 years including life/ career changes, financial changes etc. which have kept me from doing the things I wish I could. I haven't been to Sturgis since 2005, but I still hope I get a chance to do the Rally at least one more time.

I have met some really good people from this site that I consider "friends" and still stay in touch with. We have also lost some really good people who were staples in this forum and the Brotherhood we shared. Losing them were like having some foundation blocks pulled from our structure. Over the past 16 years, we as a group are not close like we were, but the memories will always be held close to the heart. We had some DAMN GOOD TIMES!!

RIP; Grizz, Dawalker, Dryriver, Cuzikan, Manny and many others!!
 #981918  by Lizzybear
 Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:40 am
Yes the memories will always be there for us..

There are people here on the board whom I have not met in "real life" but I consider them friends.. :D :D
 #981930  by Lizzybear
 Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 am
Happy Fathers Day :D
 #981946  by ChuckieBrown
 Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:20 pm
EM2 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:00 pm
ChuckieBrown wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 pm Well....I have been on here off and on since 2001 I think.....coupla different names....originally Flstflee...but seems over time I forget my password.

CB, it sure has been a long haul over the years for this forum. I joined in '03 to get info for my first trip to Sturgis. Lots of help for a Sturgis Virgin came from this site. Then meeting up with at the TBA meet and greet, putting faces to board names, making new friends and experiencing things you never would have thought.

I was 44 at the time, now I'm 60. Like many, been through a lot over those 16 years including life/ career changes, financial changes etc. which have kept me from doing the things I wish I could. I haven't been to Sturgis since 2005, but I still hope I get a chance to do the Rally at least one more time.

I have met some really good people from this site that I consider "friends" and still stay in touch with. We have also lost some really good people who were staples in this forum and the Brotherhood we shared. Losing them were like having some foundation blocks pulled from our structure. Over the past 16 years, we as a group are not close like we were, but the memories will always be held close to the heart. We had some DAMN GOOD TIMES!!

RIP; Grizz, Dawalker, Dryriver, Cuzikan, Manny and many others!!

Yea man....I still got the Dog....Cept Lbc rides it now....Im a geezer glider....road glide anyways....yea we had some fun man.....