Sturgis

A Moderated Message Board 

Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#980534  by Wanderlost
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 am
Randee, you buried up to the eaves yet? This storm is playing havoc with several of my relatives, and they're not even in the worst part.
 #980537  by SturgisSoundguy
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:06 pm
The streets in Sturgis are black. As in blacktop. Got small drifts, LOTS of wind, but not so much in the way of snow. Maybe it all blew out east of the hills. The local news shows lots more snow pics further south and east of Rapid. Gonna be out west working until Mid-May, maybe by then winter will be over up in the hills?
 #980552  by randee
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 am
Usually, when we're on the back side of a big system like this one, we get dumped on!!! but not this time... we got a good foot of snow, but was expecting 2'. We didn't get the wind either... expecting 70+, but at best if was 50+ and only a few gusts. Just a steady 20-30 (for 3 days)
The low spot in my driveway was chest deep, it took a blade to clear that out, but otherwise I only had one 3' tall drift to shovel in front of my garage.

Now starts the Big Melt Down. Next 10 days are all above freezing, and next week we even have a night that won't get down to 32. We're breaking out the suntan lotion! :)
 #980555  by SouthTexas
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 pm
Thanks for the update, SoundGuy. Sturgis is almost tropical! :) Have a good trip out west. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see that treacherously steep driveway of yours this year.
 #980558  by SturgisSoundguy
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:01 pm
SouthTexas wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 pm Thanks for the update, SoundGuy. Sturgis is almost tropical! :) Have a good trip out west. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see that treacherously steep driveway of yours this year.
Apparently east river (that's how we South Dakota people refer to the "other" side of the state!) got hammered with as much rain as snow with this last storm and they are having some pretty serious flooding according to the news.

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/Bli ... 04071.html

For those of you from somewhere other than South Dakota here are some fun facts:

If you live in the Black Hills you live in the "Hills. Sturgis is considered in the hills since we are in the last valley before the "flats" to the east. The streets at the end of my neighborhood butt right up to the Black Hills Nt'l Forest. There is a nice little lot for sale around the corner from me for $25k overlooking the Sturgis valley, I-90 and exit 32.

If you live in Rapid City it's just called "Rapid", as in "I'm going to Rapid to do some shopping", as most of you know there isn't much shopping in Sturgis.

West of the Missouri River is called, you guessed it "West River", but us lucky ones get to live in the hills :D

And as mentioned above, east of the Missouri River is "East River". Another fun fact about "east river" is those people DO NOT participate in daylight savings time. For half the year South Dakota has 2 time zones, in the summer we are all on the same time.

My driveway is NOT as treacherous as Randy's!
 #980561  by SouthTexas
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:46 pm
I appreciate the S.D. info. I'd heard of some but not all. How do you folks refer to north and south S.D.?
 #980571  by Lizzybear
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:01 am
That was one nasty storm south of the border.Eastern Canada got some of it,but nothing as bad as what the South was getting..

Were we live,it missed us completely and I am thankful for that..The worst we had was over a month of very cold weather..Every day was around -35 or colder..

Winter has been very strange this year..
 #980575  by randee
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:35 pm
SturgisSoundguy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:01 pm For those of you from somewhere other than South Dakota here are some fun facts:

If you live in the Black Hills you live in the "Hills. Sturgis is considered in the hills since we are in the last valley before the "flats" to the east. The streets at the end of my neighbourhood butt right up to the Black Hills Nt'l Forest. There is a nice little lot for sale around the corner from me for $25k overlooking the Sturgis valley, I-90 and exit 32.

If you live in Rapid City it's just called "Rapid", as in "I'm going to Rapid to do some shopping", as most of you know there isn't much shopping in Sturgis.

West of the Missouri River is called, you guessed it "West River", but us lucky ones get to live in the hills :D

And as mentioned above, east of the Missouri River is "East River". Another fun fact about "east river" is those people DO NOT participate in daylight savings time. For half the year South Dakota has 2 time zones, in the summer we are all on the same time.

My driveway is NOT as treacherous as Randy's!
lol, and I wouldn't trade it for anything! And East River folks are known as 'flatlanders'.
As a previous flatlander, I'm not sure as I agree upon the daylight savings time thing though, unless maybe it's just the folks in Murdo or other towns right along the line...?
 #980577  by winger
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 pm
I've been to Randee's and love the view.