By Steven M. Bialick, Attorney,

What laws apply if a Minnesota resident is on a motorcycle in South Dakota and is hit by a truck driver from California? This type of situation could involve a complicated area of law known as "Conflict Of Laws".

Sometimes the laws of more than one state apply to an accident. Also, if a lawsuit must be commenced, a decision must be made regarding which State or Federal Court to commence it in.

If you're involved in an accident that might involve the laws of multiple states, you should consult with an attorney familiar with Conflict Of Laws issues. You should also ask that attorney if he or she is able to work with attorneys from other states, if needed, at no additional cost to you.

Steven M. Bialick has been in the private practice of law since 1980.  He practices in the areas of accident and personal injury law.  This article is intended to provide general information only, and is not legal advice or a legal opinion on any certain facts or circumstances.  Readers are encouraged to consult with an attorney on any specific legal questions or matters.